I am an Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at The Ohio State University.
My research focuses on the societal aspects of machine learning and algorithmic decision-making. I aim to (1) understand the societal implications of machine learning, and (2) develop algorithms that are aligned with social norms (e.g., privacy, fairness, interpretability) and reliable under social dynamics. I study these problems using approaches from machine learning, statistics, optimization, game theory, and economics. For more details, please see my research statement and publications.
Prior to joining OSU, I completed my PhD in August 2021 under the supervision of Mingyan Liu at the University of Michigan.
I am looking for highly motivated students. Please see group page for details.
- [06/2022] - I am co-organizing the Deep Learning Summer School at OSU.
- [05/2022] - Our paper "Fairness Interventions as (Dis)Incentives for Strategic Manipulation" got accpeted in ICML 2022.
- [05/2022] - Our paper "Incentive Mechanisms for Strategic Classification and Regression Problems" got accpeted in EC 2022.
- [05/2022] - Our paper "Differentially Private Real-Time Release of Sequential Data" got accpeted in ACM Transactions on Privacy and Security.
- [01/2022] - I am co-organizing the ICLR 2022 Workshop on Socially Responsible Machine Learning (SRML). Please submit your paper here.
- [12/2021] - I am invited to give a talk in USC ML Symposium.
- [10/2021] - One paper got accepted to the 35th Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems (NeurIPS).
- [10/2021] - One paper got accepted to IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM).
- [6/2021] - I am invited to give a talk in Caltech's Young Investigator Forum.
- [6/2021] - I am co-organizing the Workshop on Socially Responsible Machine Learning in ICML 2021. Please submit your paper here.
- [12/2020] - One paper got accepted to the 35th AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI).
- [10/2020] - I was selected to participate in EECS Rising Stars workshop.
- [09/2020] - One paper got accepted to the 34th Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems (NeurIPS).
- [07/2020] - I gave a talk at the University of Michigan-Shanghai Jiao Tong University Joint Institute.
- [07/2020] - We (with Swetasudha Panda and Emily Black) organized the session Fairness and bias in ML and NLP at the WiML Un-Workshop at ICML 2020.
- [04/2020] - I was awarded Rackham Predoctoral Fellowship.
- [03/2020] - One paper got accepted to 2020 American Control Conference (ACC).
- [02/2020] - I gave a talk on Graduation Day at Information Theory and Applications (ITA) Workshop.